Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Mexico's grim security stats (Jan. 7, 2020)

Nearly 62,000 people have been forcibly disappeared since the start of Mexico's war on drugs in 2006. The new toll released by authorities yesterday is far higher than previously estimated, and reflects the López Obrador administration's efforts to revise information from local prosecutors, reports the New York Times. Mexican officials said most disappearances have taken place in 10 different states in swaths of the country with a heavy presence of drug cartels. And some experts believe the true figure is even higher. Together with other new statistics, the data form part of a devastating security panorama for the Mexican government. 

Since President Andrés Manuel López Obrador took office 13 months ago, authorities have discovered 873 clandestine burial sites from which 1,124 bodies were exhumed. In the same period of time, 9,164 disappearance reports were filed in Mexico, of which 5,184 still haven't been located, reports Animal Político.

The country's homicide rate reached new record rates last year -- more than 31,000 deaths in 2019 -- and raising questions about the efficacy of the López Obrador administration't approach to the perennial violence issue, reports the Guardian.

But the negative numbers also show how AMLO's government has placed more priority on the issue of the disappeared, after years of official indifference, reports the Washington Post. Under previous governments, there was “in some sense a denial of the magnitude of the problem,” said Maureen Meyer, WOLA's Mexico director. The announcement, she said, “is an important recognition we’ve seen from the López Obrador administration of the fact that Mexico has a huge crisis of disappeared people.”

More than three children are killed on average each day in Mexico due to violence, and nearly 10 percent of the country's femicide victims are underage. More than 30,000 youths have been forcefully recruited by organized crime. The Red por los Derechos de la Infancia en México (REDIM) accused the López Obrador administration of failing to develop policies targeting the problem, and of negatively impacting programs for minors with budget cuts. (Animal Político, La Jornada)

An attack by gunmen that targeted U.S. citizens -- a 13-year-old girl traveling by highway with her family was killed -- has again drawn attention to the country's drug cartels. (Guardian)

News Briefs

More Mexico
  • Former public security secretary Genaro García Luna, accused of taking bribes from the Sinaloa Cartel, has declared himself guilty to U.S. authorities and is engaged in plea negotiations, reports Animal Político. García Luna is considered the architect of Mexico's war on drugs, and oversaw the creation of Mexico’s federal police during his tenure in Felipe Calderón's government. (See briefs for Dec. 11, 2019.)
Migration
  • U.S. authorities plan to deport some Mexican asylum seekers to Guatemala, under what seems to be an expansion of an original July deal between Guatemala and the U.S to shift asylum seekers away from the U.S. The move is likely to generate backlash, reports the New York Times, as have all the third safe country style agreements the U.S. Trump administration has signed with Central American countries in recent months. The move comes as U.S. authorities seek to deal with an increase of Mexican migrants fleeing violence at home.
  • Belen Fernández explores how the U.S. has undermined the very concept of "safe third countries," in an Al Jazeera opinion piece.
Venezuela
  • Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro's ham-fisted attempt to undermine opposition leader Juan Guaidó's claim to the interim-presidency "almost certainly backfired" and will strengthen the opposition's faltering unity, according to the Latin America Risk Report. (See yesterday's post.) Nonetheless, the move also provides cover for international actors increasingly impatient with Guaidó's challenge to Maduro, namely Russia. 
  • The United States “underestimated” Russia’s support for Maduro and is studying how to respond to Russian actions, according to the U.S. special envoy for Venezuela, Elliot Abrams. (Miami Herald)
  • But Guaidó's failure over the past year to oust, or even significantly weaken Maduro's grip on power, is a significant blow to the U.S. Venezuela strategy, WOLA's Geoff Ramsey told the New York Times.
  • Guaidó's supporters plan to retake the National Assembly chamber they were barred from Sunday, reports the Washington Post. Yesterday Guaidó announced that parliamentary debate would be held as usual, though it remains to be seen what happens with the competing National Assembly authorities elected by Maduro-loyalists on Sunday, reports Efecto Cocuyo. (See yesterday's post.) 
  • Legislative elections are supposed to be held in Venezuela this year, but have a low level of citizen support. Most citizens would prefer a combination of early presidential and legislative elections, in line with negotiations between Maduro and Guaidó mediated by Norway (the so-called Oslo-Mechanism), reports Efecto Cocuyo.
Diplomacy
  • The new OAS secretary general will be elected this March, and will take office in May. Current OAS head Luis Almagro is seeking reelection -- with the endorsement of the U.S. -- and will face-off against Peruvian Hugo de Zela Martínez and Ecuadorean María Fernanda Espinosa. Global Americans has more background on each candidate.
El Salvador
  • Conservative Salvadoran opposition party Arena accompanied President Nayib Bukele's 2020 budget proposal, and granted the administration a series of spending and hiring concessions, reports El Faro.
Colombia
  • Latin America Reports looks at the largely forgotten deaths of two young men in Buenaventura, killed by security forces during protests last November in Colombia. Both of the deceased were shot in the back, according to an official.
Brazil
  • Comparing Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro to his U.S. counterpart doesn't take into account the fragility of Brazil's young democracy -- particularly given Bolsonaro's admiration for the military and people who committed torture during the country's last dictatorship, argues comedian Gregorio Duvivier in a New York Times op-ed.

Did I miss something, get something wrong, or do you have a different take? Let me know ...
  

18 comments:

  1. Hello and Welcome to Spotcap Global Loan Services, My name is Claudia Klein, I am a lender and also a loan consultant.

    Are you in dire need of Financial reinforcement? do you need a loan for various purposes? if your answer is yes, I will advise you to contact my firm via | spotcapglobalservices@gmail.com | or message us on WhatsApp:  +4915758108767 | and have a loan in your account within 24 hours because we provide Excellent loan Services all over the world.

    We offer all kind of loan services (Personal Loan, Business Loan and many More), we offer both long-term and short-term loans and also you can borrow up to 15 million euros. My company will help you achieve a variety of goals with a wide range of loan products.

    We know that getting a legitimate loan has always been a huge problem To individuals who have financial problem and need solution to it, a lot of people are finding it so difficult to get equity loan from their local banks or other financial institutions due to high interest rate, insufficient collateral, debt to income ratio, low credit score or any other reasons

    No more waiting times or stressful bank visits. Our service is available 24/7 - you can get a loan and complete your transactions whenever and wherever you need it

    We Provide 24 Hours World Class loan services. For Inquires / Questions? - Send An Email To | spotcapglobalservices@gmail.com | or message us on WhatsApp: +4915758108767 | & Receive A Response In an instant.

    Your Family, Friends & Colleagues Don't Need To Know You Are Low On Cash, Just Simply write to us and you will receive a loan.

    Your financial freedom is in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am very glad to share this testimony with everyone for the marvelous work dr ojieabu has done for my life, 6months ago i was diagnosed with herpes virus and ever since then i have been very unhappy, i was so down broken everyday, until one day when i came across a shocking testimony about how dr ojieabu cured someone of his herpes virus, without wasting much time i contacted him immediately on his email dr ojieabu and after i explain myself to him about how terrible i have been, and he assure me that he will help me to cure my herpes virus,after he has prepared the herbal medicine he sent it to me and when i have received it and started using it i was totally cure within 2weeks, i am forever grateful to dr ojieabu  for helping me out with his herpes prescription that cured my virus. contact his email: drojieabuherbalhome@gmail. com or WhatsApp (+2347087681025)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please share as you read okay you may save a soul today, natural herbs
    are really great, I was cured from HSV by a doctor called DR OKITI from West Africa, now I believe that natural herbs and roots has their own way of working, based on medical report I was told that HSV has no cure even when I saw a post about Dr OKITI how he cured many people with his herbal medicine I doubted it at first but just decided to give it a try because I was so desperately trying to get rid of my problems not knowing it was going to be the end of this deadly virus in my body, please if you have anyone with this same virus or diseases like this contact Dr OKITI on EMAIL:DROKITIHERBALHOME100@GMAIL.COM. I'm a living testimony of his herbal medicine and don't forget to share as you read okay, please save a soul today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello viewers in the world am here to share my experience on how I got cured from Herpes through the help of Dr Adigba who use his roots and herbs to cure my Herpes today am healthy and strong once again all thanks to you Dr. may you live long to continue the good work you started, as many of you out there looking for solution to your problems I will like you to give dradigba@gmail.com A try today add him on whatsapp +2348077875210

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am now leaving a healthy life after using the herbal medicine to cure myself from herpes, i am now herpes disease free after the application and usage. You can contact for your medication from via Email robinsonbucler@gmail.com, Wish you all the best and a happy healing. Thanks and God Bless you for your help, i will keep on help you to fight herpes disease in the World__________________________https://robinbuckler.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much doctor KUTA for curing my GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, is good given a herbal medicine a try, i am so happy today about my result, herpes virus has a cure i have confirm it now with my own cases, i have been reading different comment about people who are cured from herpes virus, ALS, HPV, CANCER, LUPUS VIRUS and many more with doctor KUTA herbal medicine , i was kind of skeptical so i made up my mid to give him a chance to cure me to see if the comment i read was legit, i contacted him on WHATSAPP/CALL +2347054547814 EMAIL,drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com, i am 100% cure of this virus and i am giving my own comment base on my agreement with this doctor that once i am cure i will give a Testimony. pleases contact this doctor on your cure i am very lucky been among people giving a comment about this great doctor, before i was a comment ready. am grateful for this massive cure of my health. thanks very much*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  8. powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
    my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
    free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
    voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
    recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
    healer is capable to heal anything below.

    1. Diabetes
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. Lymphoma disease
    5. Conceived a child
    6. Fibroid

    Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
    whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was diagnosed with herpes virus i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well again i contacted so many doctors on this issue yet my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Dr KUTA and told him my problems and all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14days I went to see a medical doctor for test and the result was negative.i was so shocked and amazed,I'm the most happiest person on earth now.You too can also reach him via him personal email;(drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call/Whatsapp him +2347054547814 Thanks and God bless you Dr KUTA

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have suffered with fibroid for so many years I did surgery three times just to try and get rid of this fibroid completely from my body but it kept re-occurring . so I started looking for a way to cure it from my system. I saw a testimony here online that Dr Ohikhobo as a complete cure for fibroid so I email him it only took two weeks of using the remedy I ordered from Dr Ohikhobo and I was completely cured. If there is anyone suffering from Fibroid and you want a complete cure contact Dr Ohikhobo today instead of wasting a lot of money on Surgery. He also says he cures herpes and Chlamydia 

    his email drohikhoboherbalcenter  (at)  gmail.    com

    His whatssap +2348103601042   

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you in need of Urgent Loan Here no collateral required all problem regarding Loan is solve between a short period of time with a low interest rate of 2% and duration more than 20 years what are you waiting for apply now and solve your problem or start a business with Loan paying of various bills You have come to the right place just contact us abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  12. powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
    my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
    free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
    voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
    recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
    healer is capable to heal anything below.

    1. Diabetes
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. Lymphoma disease
    5. Conceived a child
    6. Fibroid

    Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
    whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka


































































    I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete



  14. My passion to trade has grown so big , Mr Mia has made my world beautiful by earning $6,500 on my little investment of $570 , I was always losing on the options market .. Ever since I invested with Mr Mia, I was always on the good side. He never gambled with me but traded for me, all Thanks to Mr Mia  for my wonderful earnings.. Binary/bitcoin optional trading ,Way to success is very narrow,and what makes it narrow is disbelief and doubt in front of opportunity. Bitcoin is the real deal. Invest I fully recommend Him to you to also share this great experience with me Email:int.hackers002@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1(301) 329-5298

    ReplyDelete
  15. OLÁ A TODOS
    Dr. afrid realmente é tão maravilhoso para mim que sempre testemunharei sua grandeza na minha vida, que poderia acreditar que o dr Afrid ervas medicinais me curou do meu vírus do herpes que eu estava tendo nos últimos 4 anos, me deparei com drafridherbalhome11 @ gmail. com em uma página de como tratar o vírus do herpes e vi muitos testemunhos de como o Dr. Afrid os ajudou em vários problemas e situações, e seus números de celular também estavam em cada testemunho +2349056393547
    para contatá-lo, porque eu precisava de ajuda para me livrar do meu vírus do herpes, escrevi para ele no app e contei o que estava passando! Caros amigos, todos os dr. lembre-se saúde é riqueza, ele me enviou um remédio herbal para a cura do meu vírus do herpes, fiquei muito feliz porque, depois de beber as ervas conforme as instruções dele, fui ao hospital para fazer um check-up para minha surpresa, meu resultado para o herpes saiu negativo Eu recomendo drafridherbalhome11@gmail.com para quem precisar de sua ajuda, você também pode
    ... Obrigado Dr ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  17. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  18. Cool way to have financial freedom!!! Are you tired of living a poor life, here is the opportunity you have been waiting for. Get the new ATM BLANK CARD that can hack any ATM MACHINE and withdraw money from any account. You do not require anybody’s account number before you can use it. Although you and I knows that its illegal,there is no risk using it. It has SPECIAL FEATURES, that makes the machine unable to detect this very card,and its transaction can’t be traced .You can use it anywhere in the world. With this card,you can withdraw nothing less than $4,500 a day. So to get the card,reach the hackers via email address : besthackersworld58@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +1(323)-723-2568

    ReplyDelete