Friday, January 17, 2020

Brazilian culture minister resigns, Nazi reference scandal (Jan. 17, 2020)

News Briefs

Brazil
  • Brazilian culture minister Roberto Alvim was forced to resign today amid heavy backlash due to apparent Nazi references -- a similarity to a speech by Joseph Goebbels and Wagner playing in the background -- in an announcement about a new initiative, reports the Guardian. Alvim is one of the government's most militant cultural warriors, an extremely relevant category for President Jair Bolsonaro's political movement, reports the Washington Post. (See last Friday's post.) He had previously criticized for suggesting rock music encourages abortion and Satanism. It's the latest flashpoint in a broader debate over freedom of speech and culture in the Bolsonaro era, reports the New York Times.
  • Brazil's government is pushing abstinence-based sex education to counter teen pregnancies, and  is also censoring sex education sections of a health booklet for teenage girls following criticisms Bolsonaro, reports the Guardian. Multiple studies have shown that these approaches are not effective.
Migration
  • Guatemalan police accompanied by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents bused hundreds of migrants traveling through the country in a group back to Honduran border to comply with registration requirements, reports the Guardian. The move, reportedly paid for by the U.S., aimed to break up a migrant caravan that set out this week from Honduras towards the United States. (See yesterday's post.)
  • Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said the caravan of approximately 3,000 migrants would not be turned back at Mexico's southern border (when they eventually make it there) but will instead be offered jobs, reports Bloomberg.
Mexico
  • AMLO announced a broad judicial reform proposal, this week. The most relevant changes include being named and overseen by the Senate, and the possibility of criminal trials in specialized tribunals for judges accused of corruption, reports El País.
  • AMLO uses communication as a tool to distract Mexicans from the crushing policy problems his government is not addressing, argues Carlos Loret de Mola A. in the Post Opinión.
  • AMLO is increasingly desperate to offload the presidential private jet, which has been on sale for a year without success. Today he suggested raffling it off by selling six million raffle tickets at $25 apiece. (Guardian)
  • Aiming for "republican austerity," AMLO has slashed public spending, but makes an exception for baseball, repots the Economist.
Regional Relations
  • The U.S. Senate overwhelmingly approved the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, yesterday. (Washington Post)
Venezuela
  • Government attacks against Venezuelan opposition lawmakers attempting to reach the National Assembly building this week suggest Nicolás Maduro will not pull back from his attempt to control congress, write David Smilde and Dimitris Pantoulas in the Venezuela Weekly. Instead there is "multi-faceted push" aimed at consolidating government control. (See yesterday's post.)
  • The Venezuelan National Assembly has had an opposition party majority since 2015, but the configuration has changed in ensuing years due to judiciary harassment or coercion from the Maduro government, reports the Caracas Chronicles. The opposition majority has been further eaten away at the recruitment of deputies who arrived at the AN as opposition, and now favor the interests of chavismo. 
Bolivia
  • It was unacceptable for Bolivian President Evo Morales to resign in November due to pressure from the country's military, said Human Rights Watch Americas Director José Miguel Vivanco in an interview with Carmen Aristegui. (CNN
Haiti
  • A legislative election originally scheduled for last October in Haiti was never held. As a result there is no functioning legislature and President Jovenel Moïse will rule by decree -- an "ominous" prospect, according to the Economist.
Panama
  • The bodies of six children and a pregnant women were found in a new grave in Panama, and authorities believe they could be sacrificial victims of a religious sect's ritual, reports the New York Times.
Guatemala
  • Accountability advocates are concerned that, under Guatemala's new government, new forms of criminal activity, cooptation of the state, and attacks against human rights defenders will supplant hard-won gains in the battle against corruption and impunity, write Jo-Marie Burt and Paulo Estrada at the International Justice Monitor. Issues they look at include alleged ties to clandestine security groups and military veterans who opposed the CICIG and the peace process. (See Wednesday's post.)
Honduras
  • "In Honduras, doing independent journalism means constantly running into a wall," writes Jennifer Ávila in El Faro. "This wall is built by mafia-run institutions that have silenced and terrorized whole communities ... Fear and distrust are the strongest enemies of Honduran journalism right now."
Colombia
  • Revelations that Colombia's military has spied on opposition politicians, reporters and judges bolster arguments that its time to strengthen the country's still-immature democracy, argues Sinar Alvarado in a New York Times Español op-ed.
Caribbean
  • The Caribbean is heading to an electoral super-year: voters are set to head to the polls in Belize, the Dominican Republic, Guyana, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago, reports Global Americans. The economy is a central concern for most of these countries, according to the piece, though the focus is on how to manage a relatively positive economic outlook -- particularly positive in the cases of Guyana and Suriname. 
Guyana
  • Guyana's oil windfall, and how to manage an expected economic expansion of over 80 percent this year, will dominate the country's March 2 election between current President David Granger’s A Partnership for National Unity-Alliance for Change (APNU-AFC) and the opposition candidate Irfaan Ali, running under the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), according to the same Global Americans piece.
  • Environmental conservation is a key part of Guyana's future, and a critical policy question for the next government, argues Anna Correia De Sá in Fair Observer.
More Migration
  • Trinidadian authorities said Venezuelan migrants who were given registration cards will receive “an automatic six-month extension” at the end of the expiry period. (Stabroek News)
Peru
  • A light-skinned Peruvian legislative candidate ended a debate with his darker-skinned opponent by handing him two bars of soap -- one for his clothes and one for his face. The racist gesture, inspired in school bullying tactics, is part of a deep-seated prejudice about skin color Latin America, writes Marco Áviles in Post Opinión.
Guaraní
  • The Guaraní indigenous tribe in Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil are losing their habitat and, therefore, the source of their nutrition and subsistence. This has resulted in physical and mental health problems and a sharp increase in suicides, reports Eichhorn-Weiss.
Cuba
  • Cuba leads Latin America in diabetes control, reports Cuba Debate.

Did I miss something, get something wrong, or do you have a different take? Let me know ...
  

16 comments:

  1. HOW TO JOIN ILLUMINATI CULT TEMPLE +27785167256
    Hello everyone,i am one of the Agents sent by the Lord superior (Grand master) to bring as many of those who are interested in becoming a member of the great Illuminati order,I am a business man, I own a Construction company, and i also own one of the Big Electronic Appliance shop in one of the country, and my family now lives in USA, i was once like you, me & my husband were financially down to 1 square meal a day, what kind of life was that to live, I lived in poverty until i saw an opportunity to be a member of the GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD and i took my chances and i have been a member for close to 10 years now. The higher you get the richer you become. Illuminati makes your business grow faster than you can ever imagine,illuminati brings out the talent in you and make you famous, as you become a member of illuminati order you will receive 2,000,000 US DOLLARS instantly on your Bank Account, these and many more other benefits you stand to gain, so if you are interested to be a member contact us now on whatssp +27785167256 or email maamtifah@gmail.com JOIN US TODAY & BECOME RICH POWERFUL AND FAMOUS ALL YOUR LIFE

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR. MAAM LATIFAH IS THE BEST SPELL CASTER ONLINE WHO RESTORED MY BROKEN RELATIONSHIP AND I HIGHLY RECOMMENDS DR. LATIFAH TO ANYONE IN NEED OF HELP! +27605775963

    My husband left me for another woman 3 months ago and ever since then my life have been filled with pains sorrow and heart break because he was my first love whom i have spent my entire life with. A friend of mine told me he saw some testimonies of a spell caster called Dr Great that he can bring back lover within some few days, i laugh it out and said i am not interested but because of the love my friend had for me, she consulted the great spell caster on my behalf and to my greatest surprise after 2 days my husband called me for the very first time after three months that he is missing me and that he is so sorry for every thing he made me went through.He came back to me and now we are happy together. I still can’t believe it, because it highly unbelievable. Thank you Dr.latifah for bringing back my lover and also to my lovely friend who interceded on my behalf, for any one who might need the help of this great spell caster here is the email address:maamtifah@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone my name is leon mylse from the united state of american

    north carolina i'm giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati

    brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now,

    I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria, I was down i

    could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money

    by all means but all in vain, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent

    because they have eat my money, one day I came across a post of someone

    giving a testimony thanking a man called james rashford for helping him to

    join the illuminati brotherhood, then I looked at the man's email and the

    phone number that was written there, I was afraid to contact him because

    i was scammed a lot of times by scammers who ate my 500,000 and went

    away with the money then I was very confused so I decided to contact the

    person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated

    with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about

    when he wanted to join he told me everything to do, then I made up my

    mind and called the agent called james rashford and he told me everything to

    do and I was initiated, surprisingly I was given my benefit of being a new

    member ,but if intrested in joining kindly message the grand master on this number +14062017349 or email on illuminatip8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
    Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
    including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
    Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
    500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
    forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
    any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
    contact : brightiluminati666@gmail.com
    .com or WhatsApp +593960127139.
     Thaddeus I am Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
    ORGANIZATIONDo not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.: +593960127139
    Email : brightiluminati666@gmail.comBEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
    BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
    THANKS 

    ReplyDelete
  6. JOIN THE ✡️ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD🔺 Whatsapp us from any country, +1 (706) 871-4571
    Are you a Politician,contractor, banker,doctor, musicians, pastors or what ever. Do you have a strong desires? Or are you chasing your dreams of becoming a billionaire?
    This is the opportunity now to become your title in just three days .No blood sacrifice.Distance is not a problem WhatsApp +1 (706) 871-4571 🔺. We have branches in every country in the world

    ReplyDelete
  7. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEWARE MANY OF THESE POST ON HOW TO JOIN ILLUMINATI, THEY ARE NOT REAL,I WAS SCAM TWICE TRYING TO JOIN ILLUMINATI. THEY PROMISE ME MONEY, CAR AND HOUSE BUT IT WAS ALL SCAM I LOST OVER $8587 UNTIL A FRIEND OF MINE FROM Arizona Phoenix DIRECT ME TO THE REAL AGENT WERE I FINALLY BECOME ILLUMINATI MEMBER AND $900,000.00 USD WAS GIVEN TO ME AS A NEW MEMBER,PLEASE BEWARE OF SO MANY POST IF YOU WANT TO BE RICH AND FAMOUS THEN WhatsApp or call THE REAL AGENT CARLOS SCOTT via whatsApp: +1 (315)316-1521

    ReplyDelete


  9. The benefit of joining Illuminati is considered as something which is favorable, profitable and helpful to an individual. It has numerous advantages such as enhancing a person $5,Million dollars life, improving his health and well-being. In a nutshell, members enjoy both physical and intangible benefits.
    Address: Revonia Sand ton
    Zip: 2000
    Country: USA
    Whatsapp Number: +12563872052
    Email Address: illuminate0302@gmail.com or https://www.illuminatiofficial.org/

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW I JOINED THE ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD AFTER A LOT OF SCAMS Hello everyone my name is Madison Clark i am from U.K i'm giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now, I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria, I was down i could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all means but all in vain, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have eat my money, one day I came across a post of someone giving a testimony thanking a man called Steven Roy for helping him to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I looked at the man's email and the phone number that was written there, I was afraid to contact him because i was scammed a lot of times by scammers who ate my 500,000 and went away with the money then I was very confused so I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and called the agent called Steven Roy and he told me everything to do and I was initiated, surprisingly I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy, for those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR james on WhatsApp  (+14062017349) or email illuminatip8@gmail.com for more info

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOW I JOINED THE ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD AFTER A LOT OF SCAMS Hello everyone my name is Madison Clark i am from U.K i'm giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now, I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria, I was down i could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all means but all in vain, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have eat my money, one day I came across a post of someone giving a testimony thanking a man called Steven Roy for helping him to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I looked at the man's email and the phone number that was written there, I was afraid to contact him because i was scammed a lot of times by scammers who ate my 500,000 and went away with the money then I was very confused so I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and called the agent called Steven Roy and he told me everything to do and I was initiated, surprisingly I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy, for those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR james on WhatsApp  (+14062017349) or email illuminatip8@gmail.com for more info

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello viewers are here to share my testimony on how I joined the brotherhood of illuminati. 3weeks back when I wanted to join the brotherhood I was fraud and scammed by the fake people using the website until I met a friend here called MR Scott ..who helped me to become a member of the great brotherhood of illuminati . today I can boost my money .If you are interested and you need the help of my helper CALL or WHATSAPP him on: +1(315)316-1521
    thank u as u make up your mind to join may god Baphomet bless you....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to share with you my testimony of how I joined this great organization of ILLUMINATI, Really I was so poor and my life was almost close to death, i tried many times to join illuminati but all was in vain where by i was facing fake people who were claiming to be agents of illuminati. They ate my money without helping me out there i loosed hope in illuminati. But because i was very interested and focused on my dream, I continued trying there I meet another person who told me he will help me out still i didnt trust him at all because of the first pain i passed through,he still also asked me to send him money there i get scared but with time he sent me his membership id card,trust in him little and i accepted to send him money, but what amazed me is that immidiately after sending him money for initiation items,  i got intiated within  2hour  onlines and i recieve my  $1,000,000 directly to my account there i trusted him more and he is the only agent i trust because he helped me seriously. So my friend if you want to join illuminati  contact him on WhatsApp +2348180828544....

    ReplyDelete
  14. ILLUMINATI IN USA GIVING BENEFITS TO NEW MEMBERS
    Welcome to the great Illuminati brotherhood where riches protection and powers are achieved. Have you been looking for a way to join the great illuminati brotherhood here is a Golden Opportunity and chance to join the great fraternity. Join Illuminati brotherhood today and receive the sum of $10,000,000 USD into your bank account OR your cash app immediately after your membership and more benefits to come your way, Note: There's No human sacrifices and No blood share, If you're interested kindly contact us we have good benefits for the new members.
    Email: illuminatifamousworld666@gmail.com
    BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERS
    1. A dream home bought in the country of your choice.
    2. A cash reward of USD $550,000 USD.
    3. A new Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD $150,000 USD
    4. A month of appointment with the 5 best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Concrete slump test is one of the most widely used test to check the quality of concrete. It is very easy to set up and most of the serious DIY enthusiasts have a slump cone to test their concrete mix...Concrete Slump

    ReplyDelete