Monday, January 20, 2020

JOH ends MACCIH (Jan. 20, 2020)

Honduras' government abruptly announced the end of MACCIH, the OAS-backed international anti-graft mission in the country on Friday. It ceased operations yesterday. 

The foreign ministry said Honduras did not agree to the MACCIH's renewal, and cited concern in certain sectors of society that the mission had overreached its remit. In response, the OAS said the move was a "negative step," and that Honduran government had not matched the MACCIH's commitment to tackling corruption. (Reuters, AFP)

Negotiations to extend the MACCIH's original four-year mandate had been ongoing since late December. Univisión reports that the main issue was the investigative role of the mission and its coordination with a special prosecutorial unit, which the Honduran government wanted to strip from any new agreement. The anti-corruption prosecutorial unit is "highly effective," and without it the mission would join a long history of "meaningless advising projects," American University professor Chuck Call told Univisión.

About 800 protesters demanded Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández's ouster yesterday in Tegucigalpa. A coalition of social, business, union and student groups, that include the Platform for the Defense of Health and Education, seek to pressure the government and could call a strike. (Criterio) Business leader Pedro Barquero said MACCIH's closure would have negative impact on investment, and demonstrated the government's goal to defang anti-corruption efforts.

The episode shows that the fight against corruption is political, and that advances won't be made until corruption networks are pushed aside through organization and social pressure, said Gustavo Irias, director of the Centro de Estudio para la Democracia (CESPAD), on Twitter.

A group of bipartisan U.S. House of Representatives leaders condemned the decision: “With the stroke of a pen, President Juan Orlando Hernández had the opportunity to extend MACCIH – the mechanism put in place to strengthen Honduras’s capacity to address systemic corruption. Unfortunately, President Hernández chose not to exercise his authority and allowed MACCIH to expire."

Hernández, known by the acronym JOH, said he is as committed as ever to fight against corruption -- at a time when he is under increasing scrutiny after he was implicated in a U.S. drug trafficking trial against his brother. U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy referred to JOH as "an unindicted co-conspirator in the U.S. prosecution of his brother for drug trafficking" and said the move "to end the MACCIH, is the latest evidence that he is not serious about stopping the corruption that permeates his government from top to bottom."

Former MACCIH spokesperson Juan Jiménez Mayor said the failure to renew the anti-corruption mission responds to maneuvering related to the OAS leadership election in March. Mayor denounced an impunity pact between JOH and OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro a year ago, when he left his post. This weekend he said Honduras' termination of MACCIH is part of a negotiation between JOH and Almagro, who seeks reelection. (Criterio)

Other critics linked U.S. silence on the subject to JOH's cooperation with the Trump administration's immigration agenda. The U.S. State Department, which provided funding to the mission, or MACCIH as it’s known for its Spanish initials, remained silent throughout the crucial final weeks of negotiations between Honduras and the OAS.

News Briefs

Migration
  • Nearly 1,000 migrants clashed with Mexico's National Guard at the Guatemala-Mexico border on Saturday. Mexican police used pepper spray and closed the Suchiate River bridge when the group -- the vanguard of a new migrant caravan that set out from Honduras last week -- tried to rush across the border. After order was restored, small groups of migrants were allowed to cross and register with Mexican authorities, reports the New York Times. Guatemalan authorities say that more than 4,000 migrants, part of this scattered caravan, have entered Guatemala from Honduras since Wednesday. 
  • On Friday Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador had announced jobs would be offered to migrants. (See Friday's briefs.) A senior Mexican official said migrants would be required to stay in southern Mexico while their cases are adjudicated, reports the Wall Street Journal. Migrants can request asylum in Mexico, a process that lasts months, or receive visas allowing them to stay in four southern Mexican states. Those who travel north of the four states would be arrested, the official said.
  • The arrival of this new caravan shows the sea-change in Mexico's policies towards immigration since AMLO assumed office, reports Animal Político.
Venezuela
  • Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro said it's now time for direct negotiations with the United States to end the political stalemate that has crippled the country. He spoke to the Washington Post, his first interview with a foreign media outlet in nearly a year. Maduro did not say he would be open to new presidential elections, a key demand of the political opposition and the international community. In the interview Maduro gives his version of last year's failed uprising against him.
  • Venezuela's embattled opposition leader Juan Guaidó defied a travel ban and crossed into Colombia yesterday. He is expected to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who is in Bogotá. It's the start of a push to shore up international support for Guaidó as his push to oust Maduro has lost steam locally. (New York Times, Financial Times, Washington Post, Wall Street JournalBBC)
Regional Relations
  • Newly sworn in Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei broke-off diplomatic relations with Venezuela, on Friday. (AFP)
  • JOH announced on Twitter that Honduras will officially designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization today. (Jerusalem Post)
Chile
  • Chilean protesters demonstrated on Friday, marking three months of intense social unrest. Among other things, they demanded the resignation of President Sebastián Piñera, whose popularity rating is at 6 percent. (France 24)
Protests
  • The U.S. State Department detected a pattern of Russian-linked Twitter accounts that supported protests across South America last year. "State Department analysts concluded that an influence campaign was underway, the latest evidence of a global disinformation war that is more insidious and efficient than traditional propaganda of years past," reports the New York Times. Diplomats say the efforts appear aimed at fomenting dissent in countries that oppose Venezuela's Maduro government. But it's not clear what impact the efforts had on protesters in each country. State Department officials said the vast majority of protest-related posts on Twitter and other social media appeared to be legitimate.
Paraguay
  • At least 75 members of the Brazilian First Capital Command Cartel escaped from a Paraguayan prison through a tunnel, yesterday. Paraguayan authorities said the breach was unprecedented, and analysts say it shows the extent to which the Brazilian organized crime group has penetrated Paraguayan security agencies. The Pedro Juan Caballero prison, near the Brazilian border, is considered one of the country's most corrupt. (New York Times)
Crime
  • A new IMF study finds that increasing economic output can reduce crime -- an important finding for Central America.
Innovation

Did I miss something, get something wrong, or do you have a different take? Let me know ...
  

14 comments:

  1. Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is
    a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last
    three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with
    the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was
    browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a
    testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes
    i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr
    LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal
    medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like
    this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly
    contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbahome@gmail
    .com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people
    out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more
    email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM
    +2349056464736
    DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis
    6 Diabetes
    7 LOVE SPELL
    8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and Welcome to Spotcap Global Loan Services, My name is Claudia Klein, I am a lender and also a loan consultant.

    Are you in dire need of Financial reinforcement? do you need a loan for various purposes? if your answer is yes, I will advise you to contact my firm via | spotcapglobalservices@gmail.com | or message us on WhatsApp:  +4915758108767 | and have a loan in your account within 24 hours because we provide Excellent loan Services all over the world.

    We offer all kind of loan services (Personal Loan, Business Loan and many More), we offer both long-term and short-term loans and also you can borrow up to 15 million euros. My company will help you achieve a variety of goals with a wide range of loan products.

    We know that getting a legitimate loan has always been a huge problem To individuals who have financial problem and need solution to it, a lot of people are finding it so difficult to get equity loan from their local banks or other financial institutions due to high interest rate, insufficient collateral, debt to income ratio, low credit score or any other reasons

    No more waiting times or stressful bank visits. Our service is available 24/7 - you can get a loan and complete your transactions whenever and wherever you need it

    We Provide 24 Hours World Class loan services. For Inquires / Questions? - Send An Email To | spotcapglobalservices@gmail.com | or message us on WhatsApp: +4915758108767 | & Receive A Response In an instant.

    Your Family, Friends & Colleagues Don't Need To Know You Are Low On Cash, Just Simply write to us and you will receive a loan.

    Your financial freedom is in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was haven herpes 1 and 2 spreading all over my body even on my private part too. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I was so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated during to the years back and yet They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing then I treat it. At that moment I was using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I needed to get rid of it so bad! DR.INIBOKU  has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor steller javania and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.INIBOKU so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no i was perfectly cure from it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus or any other similar virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great herbal DR.INIBOKU for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL drinibokuherbalhome@gmail.com or  drinibokuspelltemple@gmail.com cell phone contact +2347059186346  his whatsapp contact is+2347059186346  THANK TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME OF READY MY TESTIMONY AND MOST ESPECIALLY YOU DR.INIBOKU I PRAY NEVER TO FORGET YOU IN MY LIFE.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day viewers, i was diagnosed of herpes virus in 2017, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Aliaro, who prepare herbal remedy to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me his medication via courier service, when i received the herbal remedy he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. Via Email : draliarohomeofgrace@gmail.com or Whats App him: +2347038729039.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES VIRUS in 2012, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at Email doctoroz2020@gmail.com or Whats-app : +2349037520482 .Contact him today and you will have a testimony…Good luck!... DOCTOR OZ CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-1. HIV/AIDS. HERPES. CANCER. ALS. Hepatitis Diabetes LOVE SPELL IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages, have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions, We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate. If you are interested in taking a loan, feel free to contact us today, we promise to offer you the best services ever. Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you. What are your Financial needs? Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan? Do you want to buy a car? Do you want to refinance? Do you need a mortgage loan? Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (challotloan@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Never believed i was ever going to be HSV FREE again, DR.Ehiaguna has given me reasons to be happy, i was HSV positive for 2 years and all the means and medicine i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about DR.Ehiaguna on how he was able to cure someone from HSV 2, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that DR.Ehiaguna can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by DR.Ehiahuna , i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HSV NEGATIVE, friends you can reach DR.Ehiaguna on any treatment of any Disease cos i saw many testimony of different disease like, HEPATITIS,HIV AIDS,EPILEPSY, CANCER,CFS he is the one only one i can show you all up to, reach him on drehiaguna@gmail.com or whatsApp him now +2348073908953. quick contact him for help and you can just quickly drop your number on your first mail as i did for easily conversation

    ReplyDelete
  10. am Celina Amber from Dallas Texas, United States.i have been living in pains for the past 2 years now not until i meet Dr.ehiaguna who was able to restore my life back with his herbal medicine, i have been Herpes for the past two years now everyday of my life i cry to God as I was a mother of 2 cute kids who were looking up to me i was still taking my medication from the hospital which cost me a lot, I also did some prayers to God that he should do some miracle in my life,Few Months ago i was browsing on net when I found some good testimonials about Dr.ehiaguna Herbs, and someone recommended that he has cured Hiv,diabetes,cancer,ulcer,and so many other disease I always had faith that God could use someone to heal me, that day I contacted Dr.ehiahuna and I told him about my problems, he told me not to worry about that with God all things are possible and also that he was going to prepare for me some herbal herbs which am going to take, and he is going to send the medicine to me, well after all the guidance and medication from Dr.ehiaguna he advice that i go for check up again to see my status result and he assured me of good result, i was afraid at this point cause i never wanted someone to tell me again that i am positive, after 2 days I went to the Hospital for check up and they said the result was to come out by Friday, at 11:00 AM on Friday the Doctor called me and told me that the result was out and I am Negative, I was shocked and could not believe it, I immediately called Dr ehiaguna and told him about the good news he told me to rejoice and make sure I share my testimony to the world and that is why I am doing this right now... You can email drehiaguna@gmail.com or massage him on WhatsApp +2348073908953 God bless you Dr 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of dr ebacol who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Ebacol email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 weeks and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address drebacolherbalhome1@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348159042641 Dr Ebacol also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Ebacol and be free from suffering.       

    ReplyDelete
  12. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  13. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr. Riaria cured my herpes virus that have been in my body since two years, ever since then my life has been incomplete, I have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by doctors, but it didn't cure my herpes virus, i was checking for solution on the internet then I miraculously came across Dr. Riaria the powerful herbalist that  can cure herpes infection, then I contacted him through his email, I explained everything to him and he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me through FedEx, which I took for 14 days with the instruction he gave me, and when I did a test in the hospital my result came out negative it was the happiest day of my life that am cure from HSV 2,  are you also suffering from same virus or another diseases you can simply contact him via email: drriaria@gmail.com  you can also call or WhatsApp him on: +2349134987375.  

    ReplyDelete