Thursday, September 26, 2019

Morales' lashes out at CICIG, UN at UNGA (Sept. 26, 2019)

Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales lambasted the now disbanded U.N.-backed international anti-corruption commission in his General Assembly speech yesterday. Morales said the CICIG infringed on Guatemala's sovereignty and jeopardized "social peace." He called for an investigation into it and a detailed report on its spending, reports the Associated Press. Morales, who was investigated by the commission, as were close relatives, fought against the CICIG for much of his mandate, which ends in January. In his speech yesterday, he criticized the United Nations Secretary General for "polarizing" Guatemala with his defense of the commission, and said CICIG head Iván Velásquez abused the United Nations image to harass and selectively politically persecute people in Guatemala. (El Periódico, Nómada)

The tirade comes on the heels of a newly created congressional commission lawmakers created on Tuesday to investigate the CICIG's work over the 12 years of its mandate -- in particular whether illegal or arbitrary actions violated Guatemalans' rights, to systematize data about potential victims of the CICIG, and to denounce officials and government employees who may have carried out illicit actions in cooperation with the CICIG. Eighty-two deputies voted in favor of the new commission, which will just over three months to audit the CICIG's record. Just six voted against, and 70 were absent. Several of the lawmakers on the new commission are accused of wrongdoing in their parliamentary duties. (Prensa Libre)

The goal is essentially to start judicial processes against Velásquez, local and foreign CICIG employees, and eventually, Guatemalan corruption prosecutors, argues Plaza Pública.

Velásquez said lawmakers were moved by fear and the need to guarantee impunity, rather than sovereignty and dignity. U.S. House of Foreign Affairs Committee chair Elliot Engels tweeted that the efforts to delegitimize the CICIG "are outrageous. I’m keeping a close eye on this troubling development."

Acción Ciudadana asked the Constitutional Court to intervene, arguing that the new commission is unconstitutional and that such an investigation can only be carried out by the public ministry, reports El Periódico.

Earlier this month Velásquez wrote in the Washington Post that Morales' "fear of the CICIG was a recognition of its efficacy." (See also Aug. 29's post on the CICIG's final report on how Guatemala's state is captured by a "mafia coalition.")

More Guatemala
  • Lest anybody doubt Morales' absolute opposition to the United Nations, he also said in his speech that he will not allow the U.N. human rights office to carry out an independent investigation into the deaths of three soldiers that pushed him to declare a state of emergency in several parts of the country earlier this month. (La República, Plaza Pública, see Sept. 5's post.)
  • Before heading to New York, Morales said he would ask his successor to ban single-use plastics -- that's good, but Guatemala has more pressing environmental issues, including forest fires that appear to be linked to criminal groups, lack of water-use regulation, conflicts regarding extractivist projects, and record rates of assassination for environmental defenders, argues Nómada.
News Briefs

Migration
  • The U.S. announced a new migration deal that will allow immigration officials to send asylum seekers to Honduras if they crossed through that country en route to the U.S. It is the latest in a series of deals with Central American countries -- Guatemala and El Salvador so far -- aimed at permitting U.S. officials to deflect migrants, who overwhelmingly hail from this part of the region. (See Monday's post and Tuesday's.) None of the three agreements has been implemented yet, and they remain in a complex process of legal challenges and parliamentary ratification procedures, notes the BBC.
  • Though the term "safe third country" has fallen by the wayside, the deals effectively mimic those agreements in which migrants must seek asylum in the first countries they pass deemed adequate, reports Vox. Until recently, the US had this kind of agreement with just one country: Canada. Experts and advocates say the efforts display blatant disregard for U.S. obligations under international law and will put migrants at lethal risk in countries riddled with violence -- where institutions are woefully underprepared to assist and protect asylum seekers.
  • The Washington Post notes that the Trump administration's eagerness to advance in this vein has led it to negotiate with Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández, who last month was named by U.S. prosecutors as a co-conspirator in a drug case. Hernández's brother is set to stand trial on federal drug trafficking charges in Manhattan within days. At the migration pact signing, U.S. President Donald Trump congratulated Hernández who he said is doing a "fantastic" job, reports El Heraldo.
  • "Over the last four decades, a series of emergency stopgaps and bipartisan deals [in the United States] has created a new multibillion-dollar industry built on the incarceration of immigrants," reports the Guardian in an in-depth piece on the U.S. immigrant detention system.
Regional Relations
  • Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele has sought to establish a friendly relationship with the Trump administration -- the new migration pact is the latest in a series of measures aimed at cooperating with U.S. goals. In exchange El Salvador hopes to obtain protection for 200,000 Salvadorans living in the U.S. under the Temporary Protected Status program -- which Trump has sought to terminate -- and to attract foreign investment, reports the New York Times.
  • "...For us, the United States is not only a partner and an ally, but also a friend.  And we’re going to show that friendship — that’s one of the reasons we signed the agreement is because we want to show that friendship to our most important ally, which is the United States," said Bukele after a meeting with Trump yesterday in New York.
Haiti
  • Haitian President Jovenel Moïse again refused to step down from his post, but said he would be willing to drop his prime minister candidate and form a unity government. The message was pre-recorded and released at 2 a.m. yesterday. Moïse called for dialogue, and hours later reshuffled his cabinet. But opposition politicians criticized Moïse for not taking any responsibility in his speech for the political and economic crisis shaking Haiti, reports the Miami Herald.
  • Critics have called for Haitian Sen. Jean Marie Ralph Féthière's immunity from prosecution to be suspended after he shot two people, including Associated Press photojournalist Dieu-Nalio Chéry, outside of Haiti's parliament on Monday, reports the Miami Herald. (See Monday's briefs.)
Mexico
  • Five years after 43 students from Ayotzinapa disappeared in Iguala, the government offered a reward for information regarding the whereabouts of their remains. The new prosecutors special investigation unit will cite former officials, including former Guerrero state governor Ángel Aguirre, to declare. (Animal Político, El Universal)
  • Oaxaca state lawmakers decriminalized abortion, the second Mexican district to do so. (Radio Formula)
Venezuela
  • Venezuela's government may be gearing up for the massive expropriation of property from millions of Venezuelans living abroad, reports the Miami Herald.
Argentina
  • The International Monetary Fund refused to say  when it will disburse the last $5.4 billion of a massive loan to Argentina that was originally planned for mid-September, reports the Associated Press. The delay will likely affect scheduled payments from the World Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank, according to Infobae.
  • Argentina's current economic crisis -- the country is running out of hard currency while grappling with high inflation and economic contraction -- is, unfortunately, a tired repetition of a 70-year-old pattern, explains the Wall Street Journal in a deep-dive.
Happy Thursday
  • A viral video circulating on social media appears to show an attempted robbery in Argentina -- thwarted when the would-be assailants realize they have pointed the gun at a friend's head. The parties hug and wave goodbye, no harm done. Perhaps what's most relevant is commentary demonstrating the perverse nature of Argentine pride our own perceived uniqueness.

Did I miss something, get something wrong, or do you have a different take? Let me know ...

12 comments:

  1. Are you looking for a loan company capable of meeting your financial needs?
    we offer user friendly services that meets your business and private needs. with just an interest rate of 2% we give you access to different categories of loans($50,000 -$100,000) to tuition loans to car loans to mortgage to vacation loans($20,000 -$2,000). contact us now and get you loan decision within five minutes and your loan approval and disbursal of funds within 24 hours to any country.email us at smallscaleloans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I'm Gladness buff by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr. Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my Herpes virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the Herpes Virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested Herpes Virus negative, if you are Herpes Virus positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call him +2348140073965
       he have cure to HIV/AIDS,diabetes,cancer,copd,hepatitis,hpv etc//..

      Delete
  2. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr. Edes, but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed, I was too curious and wanted to try Dr.Edes, then i contacted him through his email (dredeshome@gmail.com) when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after 14 days of taking the medication. i agreed with him and i took his medication and went for check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer should reach him through his Email dredeshome@gmail.com OR add him on whatsapp +2348151937428.
    visit his website on; www.edesherbalhome.webs.com../

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to let all know that the size of your Penis really matters in your relationship or marriage. I got married to my wife about 1 month after we met on a photo studio, we lived happily for the first 3 months of our marriage until i and my wife started having quarrels at home because i couldn't satisfy her on bed with my little penis. Actually my penis was very small, it measured about 4.5 inch long on erection and i am 39 years old. My wife said it was forbidden by the women of this world. My wife started sleeping with other men outside. Sometimes i will return from work without finding my wife at home and whenever i call or ask her where she was, she will always snub at me and sometimes just tell me to go get a larger dick. All this continued for a long time and it hurt me so much that i was at the edge of breaking up on the marriage till when i read about a doctor called DR.OMOHAN. online. I never thought i could smile and be in a happy marriage again if not for the help of DR.OMOHAN. I got the doctors Emails:(dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com ) on the internet and i emailed him, and he got back to me with some encouraging words, he got me some herbs cream which i use for just 8 days and i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, and without surgery. This went on for a little period of about 10 days and to my surprise my wife keeps screaming that she love my big dick now. Now my wife no longer cheat on me, and my penis is now about 10.5 inches long on erection and off course very large round. And now my wife uses breasts, hips and bums enlargement. I and my wife are very happy for the help rendered to me by DR.OMOHAN , and i want to say a big thanks to Doctor for the help. You can contact the Doctor now on his Email:( dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com ) Am thankful to the doctor for helping me.
    his whataspp number +2348164816038

    DOCTOR OMOHAN CAN AS WELL HELP THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS
    1. HIV/AIDS SPELL
    2. HERPES SPELL
    3. CANCER SPELL
    4 IF YOU WANT YOUR EX LOVER BACK SPELL
    5 IF YOU NEED A BABY SPELLhim to solve
    6 LOW SPERM COUNT SPELL
    get all your problem solve. No problem is too big for him to solve.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone,I want to quickly drop my life stories on how a specialize harbal healer called @dr_agbii cure me from HIV virus A great man who have use his root and herbs to cure all kind of deadly disease I was infected with HIV virus and I never thought HIV virus could be cured,but with the medication dr agbii sent to me i was cured I saw his email on web page by a patient he has cured from HIV called ALEX SCOLT who drop the email and phone contact of the doctor that cured me I really thank ALEX SCOLT for sharing her testimony on how she was cured When I contacted him he prepared the herbal medication for my HIV cure and send it to me in USA via DHL And i got cured within two weeks i started using the medicine, Contact him through E-MAIL: agbidr8@gmail.com or for easy communication you can WHATSAPP/CALL him via his mobile number +234 708 454 5832. @Dr_agbii
    HE CAN AS WELL CURE ALL THIS DEADLY DISEASES AS WELL,
    HERPES
    HSV 1 & HSV 2
    ASTHMA
    DIABETES
    EPILEPSY
    CANCER
    INFERTILITY
    STAPHYLOCOCCUS.
    BARRENESS
    HIV /AIDS
    HEPATITIS B
    PENIS ENLARGEMENT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250, 000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250, 000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Whats App +91-8929509036 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so embarrassed. but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email to reach him: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello I'm Gladness buff by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr. Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my Herpes virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the Herpes Virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested Herpes Virus negative, if you are Herpes Virus positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call him +2348140073965
     he have cure to HIV/AIDS,diabetes,cancer,copd,hepatitis,hpv etc//..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Oliha on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Oliha today on this Email address:{oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. My life is full of Joy and happiness now , i never believe that this will work, i have spend a lot money getting drugs from the hospital to keep me and my son healthy, it got to a point that i was waiting for a death to come because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man called Dr Ehiaguna who is well know for Herpes, HIV, and Cancer cure, i decided to email him I didn’t believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent it to him, and he prepared a herbal medicinAe (CURE) and, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that 4days I will receive the package and after receiving it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of the two weeks, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me Herpes simplex virus negative, and my son an i thought it was a joking, i went to other hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving our life’s, I promise I will always testify of your good works. if you are herpes simplex virus patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via:drehiaguna@gmail.com WHATSAPP: +2348073908953 and He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete
  10. MY HIV HEALING TESTIMONY

    My mouth is short of words, i am so happy because Dr voodoo has healed me
    from HIV which i have been suffering from the past 5years now, i have
    spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, i have
    tried all means in life to always i can become HIV negative one day, but
    there was no answer until i found Dr voodoo the parish of African who
    provide me some healing herbs that i uses , now i am glad telling everyone
    that i am now HIV Negative, i am very happy, thank you Dr voodoo for
    helping my life comes back newly without any form of crisis, may the good
    lord that i serve blessed you Dr voodoo and equip you to the higher grade
    for healing my life. i am so amazed. so i will announced to everyone in
    this whole world that is HIV positive to please follow my advice and get
    healed on time, because we all knows that HIV disease is a deadly
    type,contact Dr voodoo for your HIV healing herbs today at:
    voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com He will be always happy to assist you
    online and ensure you get healed on time, contact Dr voodoo today for
    your healing hearbs immediately, you can also
    add him on whatsApp +2348140120719 thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete