Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Lat Am climate change at the U.N. (Sept. 25, 2019)

Climate has been on the world stage this week, with the United Nations Climate Action Summit on Monday, and a sobering new U.N. report on the massive impact climate change is already having on the world's oceans and frozen regions. Within the region there are divergent visions, to put it lightly.

The U.N. Conference on Climate Change (COP25) will be held in Chile this December, amid a growing realization that voluntary emissions reductions won't be enough. In Latin America, only Costa Rica, Chile and Uruguay have pledged carbon neutrality, with the Uruguayans holding the most ambitious target for 2030. In the case of the U.S., advocates should focus on persuading leaders about the immediate impact of on the administration’s national security and migration agenda, writes Anders Beal in Americas Quarterly. Increasingly environmental change is affecting migration patterns in Central America, recent figures from the Global Index for Peace estimate that Latin America will experience an increase of 17 million migrants by 2050 due to the effects of climate change.

Not that the Trump administration seems very amenable to this line of argument. NBC reports that the Trump administration has ignored its own research demonstrating the link between climate change and migration. (See yesterday's briefs.)

Venezuela

Environmental concerns are not often cited in analysis of Venezuela's crisis -- but management of natural resources, including gold, is key to Venezuela's stability writes Bram Ebus at Venezuelan Politics and Human Rights.

Brazil

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro dedicated his General Assembly inaugural speech yesterday to rejecting data about increasing rainforest devastation under his watch. “Our Amazon is larger than the whole of western Europe and remains virtually untouched – proof that we are one of the countries that most protects the environment,” Bolsonaro claimed in a combative 30 minute speech. 

The problem is not the environment, but sovereignty, according to Bolsonaro.  He argued that the Amazon must be opened up for economic development, and that foreign NGOs and governments who opposed that view did so because they themselves had their eyes on the mineral wealth and biodiversity within Brazil’s indigenous reserves, reports the Guardian. He said Brazil will use the Amazon's riches as it sees fit. (See also Washington PostHuffington Post and Reuters.) 

Aos Fatos fact checked Bolsonaro's claims on the environment -- many of which turned out to be false or misleading.

Ahead of the speech indigenous leaders in Brazil have denounced Jair Bolsonaro’s “colonialist and ethnocidal” policies. (Guardian)

The Amazon is hardly likely to leave the international limelight, however. The Vatican's Synod for the Amazon, a three week conclave starting Oct. 6, will pit Bolsonaro's vision against that of Pope Francis, reports the Guardian.

News Briefs

More Brazil
  • Brazil's current democratic crisis began in 2013, and "only its ample civil society, if mobilized, can rescue it," argues Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira at the AULA blog.
  • "For normalcy to return to Brazil and for hope to be recovered, Lula's freedom—along with annulment of the faulty process by which he was condemned—is essential," writes Celso Amorim in Common Dreams.
Venezuela
  • Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro is aware of Colombian guerrilla camp locations in Venezuela, according to former intelligence chief Gen. Manuel Ricardo Cristopher Figuera. Figuera, who is now in the U.S., told the Washington Post that he personally handed details of the location of a guerrilla camp and the rough locations and activities of Colombian drug cartels and criminal gangs operating on Venezuelan soil to the Venezuelan leader last year.
  • Russian President Vladimir Putin backed negotiations between Venezuela’s government and minority opposition groups in dissent from Juan Guaidó's leadership. (Reuters)
Mexico
  • Mexicans say corruption is falling even as a third of them also report paying a bribe, according to a survey by Transparency International. (Reuters)
  • Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador promised to gradually increase minimum wage, reports Bloomberg.
Colombia
  • Eleven former FARC fighters acknowledged kidnappings and asked for forgiveness in the first joint, written testimony to the Colombian special jurisdiction for peace. (Associated Press)
Haiti
  • Reuters photographer Andres Martinez Casares told BBC how he captured the image of Haitian Senator Jean-Marie Ralph Féthière opening fire outside the country's parliament on Monday. (See Monday's briefs.)
El Salvador
  • Media investigations linking Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele to payments from a company linked to a subsidiary of Venezuela’s state-owned oil company, PdVSA, have rung alarm bells about potential corruption in the country's new government, reports InSight Crime. (See last Wednesday's post.)
  • Salvadoran trans activist Bianka Rodriguez is the regional winner for the Americas of the 2019 Nansen Refugee Award from the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR). (EFE)
Argentina
  • Argentine President Mauricio Macri met with the IMF in New York yesterday, but there's no word on when the fund will advance with the next $5 billion tranche of funds that was expected for this month, reports Reuters.

Did I miss something, get something wrong, or do you have a different take? Let me know ...

19 comments:

  1. Are you looking for a loan company capable of meeting your financial needs?
    we offer user friendly services that meets your business and private needs. with just an interest rate of 2% we give you access to different categories of loans($50,000 -$100,000) to tuition loans to car loans to mortgage to vacation loans($20,000 -$2,000). contact us now and get you loan decision within five minutes and your loan approval and disbursal of funds within 24 hours to any country.email us at smallscaleloans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr ohunyom, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR ohunyom for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email drohunyom@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349060579973..
      He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
      1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT      

      Delete
    2. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

      Delete
    3. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of
      HIV disease by a Doctor called Dr. voodoo . I was browsing the Internet
      searching for remedy on HIV and I saw a comment of people talking about how
      Doctor voodoo cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the
      Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of
      been cured of HIV so I decided to contact him with his email that was
      listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com when I contacted
      him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and
      it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem,
      my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. voodoo God will give
      you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere
      and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
      problem Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
      or Add him up on WhatsAp +2348140120719

      Delete
    4. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349056460552   I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552He can also cure so many sickness{1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes{3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis


      Delete
  2. Are you looking for a loan company capable of meeting your financial needs?
    we offer user friendly services that meets your business and private needs. with just an interest rate of 2% we give you access to different categories of loans($50,000 -$100,000) to tuition loans to car loans to mortgage to vacation loans($20,000 -$2,000). contact us now and get you loan decision within five minutes and your loan approval and disbursal of funds within 24 hours to any country.email us at smallscaleloans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr. Edes, but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed, I was too curious and wanted to try Dr.Edes, then i contacted him through his email (dredeshome@gmail.com) when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after 14 days of taking the medication. i agreed with him and i took his medication and went for check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer should reach him through his Email dredeshome@gmail.com OR add him on whatsapp +2348151937428.
    visit his website on; www.edesherbalhome.webs.com ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to testify of how i got cured from Herpes By Dr Ofua Ofure, I have been living with this disease for the past 11months, i have done all i can to cure this disease but all my efforts proved abortive until i met an old friend of mine who told me about a herbalist from Africa who cures several types of diseases such as hepatitis A B and C, Human Papillomavirus (HPV),Herpes and so many more. though i have doubt about it,I decided to give it a try when i contacted this herbalist,he helped me cast a healing spell and send me a herbal medicine which i make use of according to his instructions and now behold the herpes is gone and i now have my life back,If you are out there living with this disease i will like you to get cure today by Contacting this great herbalist on his email: thegreatherbalhealinghome@gmail.com
    Whatsapp: +2347059497969

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address:: dr_williamthomas78@mail.com


    They have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdr $awal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, they are here for you anytime any day
    dr_williamthomas78@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr ohunyom, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR ohunyom for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email drohunyom@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2349060579973..
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT      

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250, 000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250, 000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Whats App +91-8929509036 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so embarrassed. but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email to reach him: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.  

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Oliha on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Oliha today on this Email address:{oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}  or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2349038382931......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr.kuta on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr.kuta today on this Email address: drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2347054547814

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349056460552   I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552He can also cure so many sickness{1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes{3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis


    ReplyDelete
  13. I will take a note of your site and continue checking for new data about once every week.You know, many persons are looking round for this information, you could help them greatly.Keep sharing your thoughts. BUY FRENCH PASSPORT ONLINE ,I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our TELEGRAM GROUP

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONTACT US FOR ALL KINDS OF HACKING JOBs @ We offer professional hacking services,we offer the following services;
    -University grades changing
    -Bank accounts hack
    -Erase criminal records hack
    -Facebook hack
    -Twitters hack
    -email accounts hack
    -Grade Changes hack
    Contact us on whatsapp + 1 681 532 3704
    Email- n17833408@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete